The banner came crashing down at 10:30 Sunday morning for Round 6 of the National Hare & Hound Series in Johnson Valley, Ca. Saying that I was a little nervous for this round would be a complete understatement! This weekend I had the opportunity of racing against KTM backed woman MX star Sarah Whitmore. I was pretty intimidated at the start but once we were off the line all my fears went away and it was time to get down to business.
The Vikings Motorcycle Club did a great job laying out the first 37 mile loop, it had a little bit of everything from long windy sand washes to rocky single track stuff to wide open valley crossings. My only regret during the first loop is that I forgot I was going to have have to race a second 40 mile loop! During the first loop I had the chance to battle with Whitmore for a little bit, I passed her after the bomb, then she passed me, then I passed her in the rocks, and then she caught me in a sand wash and that was the last I saw of her. We came into the pits about 30 seconds apart, but heading out onto loop 2 I could feel my bodying begin to wear down from the heat.
Loop 2 was demanding, but I could tell the Vikings put a lot of thought into this national caliber course. Everything was very doable but it definitely tested your skill as a rider physically, as well as mentally. Half way through the second loop I started to realize that I am part of the "working class," because I was beginning to feel pretty winded, after this weekend I for sure need to "up" my workout regimen. After running out of water and passing several lizards basking in the sun, I made it to the finish.
Not only were my friends waiting for me at the finish, but so was the ice cream truck! Just when you start to think you've seen it all, there's always something right around the corner to throw you for a loop. I didn't get the overall win in the Woman's class, but I feel like I walked away from this round as a better rider. Round 7 is only two weeks away in Jericho, Utah which is good because Round 6 will still be fresh in my mind.

This weekend I'm going to roll the dice in hopes of winning the Woman's Amateur class and receiving my last transfer ride needed to move up to the Expert Class. Primm..... Here I come!



0 comments:
Post a Comment