
The month of May is already coming close to an end and so is the AMA/Kenda National Hare & Hound Series, with only two rounds left after last week's round in Jericho, Utah. Not only did the Sugarloafers MC host the 7th round of the H&H series, but they also celebrated their 50th anniversary of running this race. Terry Bland, the first ever to win the Sugarloafers' Cherry Creek National Hare & Hound was present at Friday's autograph signing session. On Saturday Terry would be aboard his BSA 500 Gold Star acting as the "Hare" for this year's National.

The start of the race was super fast! They ran us through an open field and towards the end of the bomb the course went from wide open to riding with extreme caution because of all the ditches and rocks hidden amongst the brush. I was excited for this race because unlike last year, there were a number of women racing, including Idaho racer Shayla Fulfer, who is currently running second overall in the AMA/Kenda National Hare & Hound Series. After this weekend's race, Shayla ended up narrowing the points gap between us by winning the Woman's Class. Awesome job Shayla!

This race was the LONGEST race I have ever done, coming in at 115 miles! After the Viking's National last month I started running and training more and more to gain the endurance it would take for me to finish this race. The first loop was a FAST 30 miles, taking us through some valleys and some rocky hill climbs. I came into the pits feeling pretty good, Cameron fueled me up and swapped out my goggles for a fresh pair and I was ready for loop 2. The 37 mile loop was a little different from the first one, there was a lot of weaving in and out of Cedar trees, as well as different elevation changes. At one point I went from boiling hot to shivering cold, at that point I looked across the mountain and noticed snow! As I went down the mountain the temperature began to rise. At the end of loop 2 I was welcomed by a "LEMONADE" stand, and of course I had to stop, not only was it the best lemonade, but it was the best cherry lemonade I have ever had.

Once I came into the pits I had accomplished my goal of coming through and making it to loop 3 before the race officials had closed it. Normally in a National Hare & Hound event the last loop is the most technical and difficult, but in this case it was by far my favorite! I had a ton of "close calls" with the Cedar trees, believe me when I say I did have some encounters with their branches and am now left with two bruised and battered arms. I guess no tank tops for me, for a while at least =)

If the trees weren't something new for a California desert racer, what about all the water! During the last loop there were two water crossing that could have ruined somebody's day if they weren't made during their first attempt. The first one came up unexpectedly, I followed the black and orange arrows and made a sharp left turn and next thing you know I'm starring at a water crossing that looked more like a swamp pool with two guys and their bikes laying in the middle of the mud bath. I slowed down a bit and assessed the situation, instead of charging straight through the middle of it and possibly getting stuck, I decided to take the route less traveled and veered left and my KTM was able to pull right though it with ease. The second water crossing I was a bit nervous for, because last year I ended up crashing in the middle of it. But not this year, I came in slow and crawled right through it. To be honest I think I psyched myself out a little too much for this crossing, so I literally "crawled" through it.

Coming into the finish after racing 115 miles, I started to think about all the people who have helped me along the way. Desert racing is a funny thing, sometimes it's not about being the fastest one out there, but about overcoming your personal struggles. For some it might be getting up that hill or sticking it through those last 20 miles on a flat tire. This season racing the National Hare & Hound Series has been a real learning experience for me not just in riding, but also in myself. I'm starting to learn that quitting is not an option, for all the troubles I have been faced with this year quitting would have been the easy way out.

You see this year I currently have only one win under my belt, but I have been determined to never throw in the towel. Round 1 my power valve was out of whack giving me no power, I started dead last with my throttle held wide open, it felt like I was going nowhere! Round 2 I thought was the end, my bike on it's side leaking coolant, I was able to borrow my friend's bike and start an hour after everybody else started, but I still was able to finish. Round 3 was the craziest rain storm I had ever seen causing a lot of people to pack up and head home. It's all the little things and decisions that you make along the way that really influence the end result.
Now that I am home, it is time to wash up the bike and get it ready for the first round of District 37's Night Racing Series. This Saturday I will be a Night Owl racing solo at SoCal MC's Team Night race. Then take the red eye and cross the desert to race Round 4 of the U.S. Desert Racing Series Sunday morning. Can't wait for Saturday!



0 comments:
Post a Comment