Desert Racing... It's Just What We Do!

Stay in tune with the life and times of Joanna Kaczmarek; a female motorcycle racer holding her own in the rugged terrain and unforgiving environment of the grueling deserts across the western United States.

What?! There's Other Things to do Beside Race Motorcycles?

I apologize for my lack of writing about my racing and travels in the past couple of months. A lot has happened since then! Sometimes I forget that even though I'm not on my bike I still need to check in now and then!

Getting a last minute ride in

Racing in the high desert has it's advantages; you get to race through amazing terrain that you probably would never get to see any other way, and you get to have a summer break during the race season! With temperatures simmering in the triple digits it makes racing and summertime heat a deadly combination. Mid year I was able to wrap things up before summer with a points lead in the Woman's A/B class in the National Hare & Hound Series, as well as gaining a points lead in the Woman's Expert class in the US Desert Racing Series.

But before summer could officially begin for me I had to race one more race, the kind of race you do just for fun, because you love to ride! Memorial Day weekend I had the opportunity to team up with Sarah Kristch, female off-road racing super star. Sarah is last year's District 37 #1 plate winner in the Woman's class and she is currently defending her #1 plate title this year. With all of her night racing experience from racing down in Baja I had a lot to ride up too.


Riders meeting before the night race

Riding at night is like walking through your house blindfolded, you've walked through the place a million times before, but with the lights out you begin to second guess your every move on how to get to your bedroom through the kitchen. As the sun began to go down Sarah was all geared up and ready to start us off on the first leg of the night race, after the flag came down Sarah was off with a great start! The atmosphere was spectacular, I felt like I was at Disneyland watching the Main Street Electric Parade! There were lights everywhere on bikes, lights hanging on pit trucks, and flashing lights on riders and racers alike.

Ready to race

The entire night racing experience was a great one and it was the perfect way to wrap up the half way point of the season, especially since we got to take home the 1st Woman's Overall Trophy! Special thanks to the guys over at Baja Designs for the free entry and to Cameron Brewer for not only being the best pit support out there, but for also grilling up a mean tri-tip while we were racing!


Sarah Kritsch and I with our trophies


Even though the bikes and gear bags are stowed away in the garage for the hot summer months we have a lot to get done before September. Cameron and I have purchased our very first home in Corona and we are so excited to be starting this next chapter of our lives! This past month has been spent on packing and unpacking hundreds of boxes, traveling back and forth from home improvement stores, and hours of do it yourself home projects, as well as mastering the art of gardening. Time is moving so fast that before we know it we'll be loading up the van with bikes and fuel and heading out to the desert!


Where we now call "home"

See you all in September!

~ Joanna

0 comments: